Tyshammie Cooper

Key Facts

Party Democrat
Status Incumbent

Background

Tyshammie Cooper graduated from Columbia University with a BA in Political Science and Public Administration and an MPA in Public Administration and Finance [2]. Before joining the City of Orange Township, she served as Chief Executive Officer of the Camden Empowerment Corporation (CEC), where she played a pivotal role in implementing the business strategy of the company [3, 4]. 

Since 2012, Cooper served as the Chief of Staff to the Mayor of Orange Township, serving many different political roles from then until 2018 [2]. In 2018, she won the Special general election for Essex County Board of Chosen Freeholders District 3 with 99.8 percent of the vote (the other 0.2 percent being write-in votes) and is the incumbent in the coming election [1]. She was also involved in controversy in 2019, being named in at least two FBI search warrants in a probe investigating alleged misuse of government funds [5]. Commissioner Cooper currently resides in the 4th ward of East Orange with her husband Benjamin and her two children Camille and Ethan [2]. 

Key Issues

Economy

During the Obama Administration, Cooper was selected to chair a panel on Community and Economic Development and Job Creation from 2010-2013 [2]. 

Youth

Cooper often volunteers with the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services (now the Child Protection and Permanency division of the New Jersey Department of Children and Families) to support and empower disadvantaged youth in local communities [2]. 

Endorsements

No officially known endorsements

Sources

1 Ballotpedia
2 County of Essex
3 Facebook
4 LinkedIn
5 NJ.com